As Official Airline of the Australian Olympic Team, this Qantas asset was not being activated to its potential. The aim was to leverage their sponsorship whilst remaining within the regulations of the IOC and AOC (not being an Olympic Games sponsor).
‘QF2012 London’. Campaign elements:
- Recruitment and management of 15 athletes (13 Olympic and 2 Paralympic).
- Athlete and event content - for Qantas In-flight entertainment and media platforms.
- In terminal (nationally) - aerobridge posters and hanging banners.
- Experiential activations - community based activities.
- Retail and Trade promotions featuring QF2012 athletes with incentives and sales.
Campaign won Gold in the 2012 Australian Olympic Team Inspiration Award, awarded by AOC recognising Excellence in Sponsorship Leveraging of all team sponsors.
Qantas considered the top sponsor of the Australian and Paralympic teams and the London Olympics (despite not being a sponsor of the London Olympics)
58% felt more positive about the brand based on key athlete ATL communication.
Incremental sales of over $54 million over the program.
Cumulative reach in excess of 50 million.
QF2012 Olympic highlights:
4 medals: 1 gold – Sally Pearson, 2 silver – Jack Bobridge and Leisel Jones, 1 bronze – Lauren Jackson
Flag bearer, Opening Ceremony - Lauren Jackson. Track and Field Captain - Steve Hooker. Best ever Gymnastics result, 5th - Lauren Mitchell – 0.066 points from bronze.